How to Prevent and Handle Accidents to the Seniors
With their withering health and body, there is no doubt that elderly people need a special care. Here are how to avoid and handle accidents to the seniors.
1. If an older person falls down, don’t try to move them because their bones might be broken. Check if there’s bleeding. Stop bleeding, if there is, and call the ambulance. Even if there’s only small injury or none, it’s safer to take them to the hospital.
2. Make your indoor and outdoor area elderly-friendly. Make sure that the floor is non-slippery. Build wheelchair access ramp. Keep electric wires properly. Brighten up indoor ambience. Buy some soft and easy-to-wear outfits and slippers for them. Their bedroom should be at downstairs with comfortable chairs and bed.
3. Bathroom is a dangerous zone for the seniors. Non-slip tiles can prevent them to slip. If non-slip tiles are too complicated, applying non-slip tape in zebra cross, toilet carpet or clear anti slip coating is another option. Install a rail at the toilet, shower, and sink to prevent slipping.
4. Exercise is a medicine. Walking in and out place can strength the muscles, improve bone and joint flexibility and help to balance. However, those with knee problems should avoid running. Seniors on a wheelchair can work out by raising arms and shaking hands and fingers. Exercise brings a healthy mind and body, including friends to the seniors.
5. Provide emergency instruments such as a switch, whistle or bell to the seniors in order to let the family or the nurse know if they need help. Their shouting voice might not be loud enough to be heard. Those instruments should be put in the bedroom and bathroom.
6. Take special care of the seniors. Some of them can’t see or hear properly. They might not be able to tell the correct distance and story. Their imbalance makes it hard to walk and sit, which makes them bound to fall easily. To prevent this, take them to the hospital for health checkup regularly.
If you care for welfare of the seniors, find more information for insurance for seniors at